Aberdeen Gardens is a neighborhood that was built for blacks by blacks. In January 1934, Hampton Institute accepted the responsibility for securing a Federal Grant for $245,000 for the housing development.
Aberdeen Gardens became the second neighborhood in the nation for blacks financed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Subsistence Homestead Project. The Aberdeen neighborhood was designed by a black architect from Howard University named Hillyard R. Robertson. It was the model resettlement community in the United States. Charles Duke, a black architect, was named architect-in-charge to design and manage the construction of the Homestead Project. The Homestead Project was built by black contractors and laborers. Aberdeen is composed of 158 brick houses on large lots and a school (Aberdeen Elementary). Initially, a community center and a church were in the proposal, but were never built.
The streets, excluding Aberdeen Road are named for prominent blacks. The original seven streets had alphanumeric names (A,B,C,D,E,F, and G). A recommendation was made on December 9, 1937 to the government of the local sponsoring committee to rename the seven alphabetical streets in the Aberdeen Homestead community. The new names served to stimulate pride in the achievement of black leaders. The seven streets are named: (1) Lewis Road, (2) Weaver Road, (3) Walker Road, (4) Mary Peake Boulevard, (5) Davis Road, (6) Russell Road, and (7) Langston Boulevard.